SQUID 1.1.1 Readme – March
For the most current version of
the Readme, click here.
This file provides the following
information about SQUID 1.1.1:
For more information, please go to
SQUID - Simple Queues of
- Alternative to the VTS (virtual table server) from
- Think of SQUID as a multi-user spreadsheet, allowing virtual
users to talk to one another.
- Data can be added, removed or just queried.
- Excellent mechanism to accommodate data that needs to
be unique across all virtual users and scripts.
- Storage and manipulation of data in dynamic queues.
- SQUID is a WCF application. Any application that
can call web service endpoints can use SQUID.
- Utilized for data loading.
- Used in load testing to permit virtual users to
communicate; promotes modular scripts (the entire business flow does not
need to be in one script).
- Ability to create a script critical section (only have
1 virtual user at a time execute a particular set of steps).
- Power to set up unique parameters without worrying
about unused, blocked data usage; contains a built in type of data
- Employed as an output mechanism; provides status on
good, bad and/or incomplete type operations.
- Allows unique data to be used across virtual users,
scripts and scenario groups.
- GUI is written in WPF; the communication is handled
- Can run multiple SQUIDs; each responding to a
different endpoint address.
- LoadRunner can communicate with
SQUID through either a SOAP or REST interface.
Solution Maniacs, LLC
P.O. Box 47479
Tampa, FL 33646
Specific software needs to be installed before you can
install SQUID. When you run the SQUID installation wizard, if the
prerequisite software is not already installed on your computer, the wizard
detects which software is missing and provides the option to install it.
The following prerequisite software needs to be installed:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86
The following table describes the system requirements for
installing SQUID on a Windows machine. Note that these requirements are
similar for a Load Generator in LoadRunner 11.0.
CPU Type: Intel Core, Pentium, Xeon, AMD or
Speed: 1 GHz minimum
Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit and above
Minimum: 1 GB
Note: Memory depends on the amount of data loaded into SQUID
Minimum: 1024 x 768
- Go to www.solutionmaniacs.com/squid
and click the Download SQUID link.
- Fill out the download form by providing your name,
company, email and where you heard about SQUID.
- Click Submit and download SQUID. SQUID will download as a zip file
- Extract the zip to any location. The zip file will contain:
- readme_squid.htm – This file.
- cab1.cab – Library of compressed SQUID
- SQUID.msi – Installation program to run.
- Run the SQUID.msi file.
SQUID uninstallation can be done:
- Using the Control Panel, open the Programs and
Features and uninstall SQUID.
placed a shortcut to the SQUID installation directory on the desktop.
- Start SQUID.exe.
- Enter an address of http://localhost:8888
and click Start.
- If successful, the Start button will change to a Stop
button. SQUID is now listening on
the given endpoint.
- Multiple SQUIDs can be started, each with a different endpoint
Run SQUID Examples
can be downloaded from www.solutionmaniacs.com/squid-examples. The examples are no longer included with the
install of SQUID. This was done to
enable updating and adding of new examples without deploying a new version of
SQUID in Your Own Scripts
- Running SQUID.exe will be exactly as described
above. SQUID should be installed
and run on a load generator by itself (not used for virtual users).
- The SQUID-REST.dll or SQUID-SOAP file should be copied
into your LoadRunner script directory structure.
- I normally create a libraries directory
and place the SQUID-REST.dll and SQUID-SOAP in there.
- Every script must be able to access this
- Note the path to the dll. This is the path you will use in your
script for the lr_load_dll call.
- When running a scenario, the load generators must have
access to the SQUID-REST.dll or SQUID-SOAP.
- Add the libraries directory to the files downloaded
to the load generators.
- Copy SQUID-REST.dll and SQUID-SOAP to the
load generators before running the test.
- Place SQUID-REST.dll and SQUID-SOAP on a
network share, accessible by all generators.
- SQUID 1.1.1 – March
- Added list box for queue names. Easier to manage large number of
columns/parameters (tabs). Now
only 1 tab is displayed in the TabControl. Previously a large number of tabs would
wrap onto multiple rows and reduce the data area.
- SQUID upper left message is now a button
that opens: http://www.solutionmaniacs.com/squid.
- Minor UI tweaks.
- SQUID 1.1.0 –
February 23, 2013
- Breaking Change: Renamed SQUID.dll to
- Breaking Change: Added delimiter
parameter to SquidQueryColumn.
- Created SQUID-REST.dll. Same functionality as SQUID-SOAP.dll,
but implemented through a REST interface.
SQUID-REST.dll has improved performance over SQUID-SOAP.dll.
- The addition of REST support now requires
the full Microsoft .NET 4.0 Framework.
Previous versions only required Microsoft .NET 4.0 Client Profile.
- Added command line parameters to SQUID.
- Specify address: /a http://squidserver:8888
- Start listening: /s
- Import data (multiple entries): /i c:\data\users.dat
- New functions: SquidBatch,
- SquidPause, SquidResume,
SquidRefresh have a limited performance impact
in LoadRunner (due to the dll
using interop to communicate). The biggest impact will be seen using
- SquidBatch can greatly improve
the performance of a large number of SQUID function calls.
- Changed SquidGetLastError
to use its own buffer. Before this
change calling SquidGetLastError would
overwrite the value returned from a previous SQUID function.
- SquidRetrieveData, SquidQueryData,
SquidQueryColumn were updated to set data to an
empty string where applicable.
- Separate out examples from the SQUID
deployment package. The examples
are now on a page by themselves, allowing for frequent updates/additions.
- SQUID UI changes
- Fixed defect to allow column name to be
- Added hot keys for the Start/Stop and
- Set the Start/Stop button as default
when Address gets the focus. When
Address loses focus, sets the default to the Execute button. This makes it easier to enter lots of
data without having to click the Execute button (just click Enter after
you enter the data).
- Improved selection handling.
- Cleaned up textboxes. If the textbox is disabled, empty its
contents. If the textbox is
enabled and the label has changed, empty its contents.
- Expanded the ‘Return Value’ and ‘SquidGetLastError’ textboxes.
- Added SQUID icons for sizes: 16, 32, 48,
- Added SQUID icon/image and bolded the
SQUID line in the Help tab.
- Added ‘…’ button for SquidExportData
and SquidImportData. This will display a SaveFileDialog/OpenFileDialog. Other commands will have the ‘…’
- Changed background color read-only
- SQUID 1.0.6 - July
- New Readme file. Added to install
directory, linked on website and displayed at the end of the
- Added iSquid
parameter to the displayed command in SQUID.
- SQUID 1.0.5 - July
- Fixed SQUID URL link on Help tab.
- Added a notification label when a new
version of SQUID is available.
- Created an installation program that will
check for system requirements and display the licensing agreement.
Once installed, SQUID will no longer require acceptance of the license
agreement every time it is run.
- SQUID 1.0.4 - June
- Removed hardcoded links to Hyperlink_RequestNavigate.
- Added a requirements window to check that
VC++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) has been installed (links are
provided). If not, SQUID will not load properly in a LoadRunner script.
- Added a short readme.txt in the
downloaded zip file.
- SQUID 1.0.3 - May
- Fixed display of text boxes and labels.
- Cleaned up control layout.
- Fixed/updated the tab order of the
- SQUID 1.0.2 - April
- Fixed SquidExportData.
The iOption parameter was defaulting to 1.
- Added extra SquidExportData
alls to example script lr_squid_functions.
Now all iOption values are being tested.
- Fixed SquidExportData
when no file extension is given.
- Fixed gsoap_dll.cpp to handle data values
larger than 100 bytes. Added large data value test to lr_squid_functions script.
- Fixed gsoap_dll.cpp. SQUID methods
that return integer values were not working correctly.
- Improved error handling logic/consistency
- Changed mouse to an hour glass when
starting the service.
- Added error checking calls to lr_squid_functions script.
- SQUID 1.0.1 - April
- Changed target framework from .NET
Framework 4.0 to .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile.
- Changed requestedExecutionLevel
level from asInvoker to requireAdministrator.
- Cleaned up internal comments.
- SQUID 1.0.0 - March
Maniacs, LLC (“Solution Maniacs”) subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement,
hereby grants to you a non-exclusive and non-transferable license during the
Term to use the Software solely in executable or object code form.
shall not, and shall not permit any third party to,
obliterate, or cancel from view any copyright, trademark, confidentiality or
other proprietary notice, mark, or legend appearing on any of the Software or
output generated by the Software, and to reproduce and include same on each
copy of the Software;
engineer, disassemble, or decompile the Software, or any portion thereof;
sell, offer to sell, repackage, deliver or distribute the Software, or any
modify, alter, transform or otherwise alter the Software, or any portion
term of this Agreement (“Term”) will commence on the date you download the
Software, and will continue until terminated by either party in accordance. You
may terminate this Agreement at any time by deinstalling
the Software and destroying all copies of the Software in your possession or
control. Solution Maniacs may terminate this Agreement at any time for any
reason or no reason.
trademarks and other conceivable intellectual property rights in and to the
Software are owned by Solution Maniacs or its licensors, and are protected by
United States and foreign copyright laws, international treatises and other
applicable laws. Solution Maniacs reserves all rights in the Software not
expressly granted by this Agreement. You shall not have any right, title, or
interest to any such Software or copies thereof except as provided in this
acknowledge that portions of the Software are of U.S. origin. You agree to
comply with all applicable United States and international laws governing
export and re-export of the Software, as well as end-user, end-use and
destination restrictions issued by United States and other governments.
the warranty provisions set forth herein, all of Solution Maniacs’ obligations
with respect to such warranties shall be contingent on your use of the Software
in accordance with this Agreement and in accordance with Solution Maniacs’
instructions as provided in the Documentation, as such instructions may be
amended, supplemented, or modified by Solution Maniacs’ from time to time.
Solution Maniacs’ shall have no warranty obligations with respect to any
failures of the Software which are the result of accident, abuse,
misapplication, extreme power surge or extreme electromagnetic field.
Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Florida. All disputes hereunder
shall be resolved in the applicable state or federal courts of Florida. The
parties consent to the jurisdiction of such courts, agree to accept service of
process by mail, and waive any jurisdictional or venue defenses otherwise
Maniacs offers the Software as-is and makes no representations or warranties of
any kind concerning the Software, express, implied, statutory or otherwise,
including without limitation, warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for
a particular purpose, non-infringement, or the absence of latent or other
defects, accuracy, or the present of absence of errors, whether or not
agree to defend and indemnify Solution Maniacs’ and hold Solution Maniacs’
harmless from all claims, losses, damages, complaints or expenses connected
with or resulting from use of the Software.
provision hereof is held invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent
jurisdiction, such invalidity shall not affect the validity or operation of any
other provision and such invalid provision shall be deemed to be severed from
Agreement constitutes the entire understanding of the parties, and revokes and
supersedes all prior agreements between the parties and is intended as a final
expression of their Agreement. It shall not be modified or amended except in
writing signed by both parties hereto and specifically referring to this
Agreement. This Agreement shall take precedence over any other documents that
may be in conflict therewith.